The programme segment SINDBAD is addressed at trainees, vocational students, dual students, retrainees, individuals in a formal continuing education program under state or federal law and young professionals in their first year after graduation who want to do an internship in another European country. SINDBAD is accessible to all non-academic skilled occupations.

Which requirements do you have to fulfil?

To participate in SINDBAD, you should foremost be open to foreign cultures and ways of life and have a desire to look into the everyday working life of another company.


  • are at least 18 years old and
  • have a German residence and a training company respectively an employer based in Germany.

Funding is available for:

  • Trainees in a dual training program or professionals in the first year after training,
  • Students of vocational technical colleges
  • Dual students with an apprenticeship contract, which is registered at a chamber
  • Participants in a vocational retraining course
  • Persons in a formally regulated further training course according to state or federal law (e.g. for master craftsman, state-certified technician)
  • Graduates of all above-mentioned trainings in the first year after the exam


Sabine Schacknat

Client Manager Mobility Programmes



Karin Lüdecke

Assistant Mobility Programmes



What does a SINDBAD traineeship look like?


EU countries as well as Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Northern Macedonia and Turkish Republic


Trainees undergoing dual initial training in Germany, vocational students, dual students with a registered training contract with a chamber of commerce, retrainees, persons in a formally regulated further training course in accordance with state or federal law (e.g. master craftsman, state-certified technician) and federal law (e.g. master craftsman, state-certified technician) and graduates of all the above-mentioned training courses in the first year after the examination.


2 weeks to 12 months. The minimum duration is 10 days in the host company. Participation in professional competitions can also be supported. In this case, the duration of the stay is reduced to 1 - maximum 10 days.


Hotel or youth hostel, host families


The learning contents are individually agreed upon between the receiving company and the learners, based on the latter’s requirements. Experienced tutors coach the participants during their time abroad.


The grant for travel, room and board expenses depends on the host country and the length of stay. For further information go to Funding Rates (in German only).


Europass Mobility and certificate by the host company.


Two options to organise your internship:


You can take part in a group tour on offer in cooperation with our partners (chambers of skilled crafts, chambers of industry and commerce as well as education centres).


You can travel individually and arrange your accommodation and internship yourself (e.g. at the foreign branch of your training company).

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If you would like to apply, please use our online application form: